FIELDS & FRAMES | painting

thought of this when doing VFX
I came up with the idea of having a moving painting while researching for VFX as I thought of looking into making paintings move and thought I could do that with this idea.
I was already thinking of layers within a painting as I noticed how when you stare intensely at a Pollock painting, you begin to see layers and it looks 3D almost and this is the look i kind of wanted where it also looks like its kind of swimming.

I decided I would take photos of each layer while painting and use photoshop to stitch it all together after learning how to do that in one of the photography workshops.
I had already started a painting before this idea, around consciousness and the internet and where is the internet? and 'where do we go when we're on the internet?'
Began with a pink/white 'swirl'. this is what i thought of when i thought of consciousness.  I think it resembles a brain pattern in a way.
Merged the photos in photoshop:
Then cropped and rotated it to this:

Added white which I already knew i wanted to do. bought a nice fat brush to get the blocked shapes/edges. 
I saved two versions of the file; one with just the extra layer, and one with both together as i didnt know how i was going to edit them yet.

Added more:


tried to get a drip down the side, however didn't really work as oil paints are particularly the best for that. I kept painting and scratched parts and painted over things.
I think the use of blue and the shapes represent screens/digital light in a way and i added an X to give a map look and the arrow looks like a computer mouse.
I mainly wanted to try create a sense of depth.

SMALLER CLOSE UP PHOTOS


VIDS WATCHED ON EDITING:
So i edited the painting to create different layers and also used the patch tool to expand areas so i could move things and not have a blank space/gap.

I didn't know how to edit the painting. I tried using the Map Displacement and turbulent displace effects but it didnt really work the way i wanted it to, until i found this video:

The editing of the painting took longer than i expected as i hadnt thought of how the large photo size would make after effects go so slow to the point the only way to really see what i had keyframed was to export it and hope for the best. 2 hrs later i watched the 10 second clip and i thought it looked cool. There were a few 'glitchy' parts however i think that works. It looked a lot better than the other effect that i tried and then i put it into premiere and used the clip and reversed it so it would keep flowing throughout the 5 minutes of the sound.

Some notes I found that i wrote while painting/waiting for layer to dry a bit


Comments