PROFESSIONAL TOOLKIT | vfx

At first I thought I could do a opening for a nature program or something, however then I came up to do something for an art show as I thought that could be interesting, like for a sky arts programme or something like that. I had been watching a lot of art videos on youtube where they talk about modern artists and show how to paint like so and so, on the Moma channel, so I thought this project piece could be for a TV that does something like that.
I looked about online for visual inspiration and found quite a lot of stuff.


I found some youtube video tutorials that I was hoping would give me inspiration and widen my visual horizons.
photo 3D ---- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldfYFsDUspU
3D room ---- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4Tws5NYQMs

Also looked at digital art collages which looked pretty cool:
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=digital+art+collage
While editing I made a blog post (x) with a collection of images for inspiration so I could look at them all together rather than try and remember what 'look' i wanted to go for.
I was also unsure on whether to do the project 2d or 3d; a piece that goes along a gallery or a piece that was more collage like and moves across screen. The only problem with the 3d was that I was afraid that it would look tacky with trying to edit a gallery like scene and add paintings and things there.

Artists I wanted to possibly 'homage'/use as inspiration:
 kandinsky, max ernst, rothko, de kooning, van gogh,

I first began just playing around and created a 3D scene using inspiration from the giorgio di chirico images from the other blog post.
 I then made a new composition to try something different using images I had on my computer and also took a photo of a mannequin (as I liked the figure in the giorgio di chirico painting) I have and made them transparent on photoshop.
 I then made another compostition with a gold frame from a photo I took a while back in the national gallery as Ive always thought the frames were cool. I then decided to edit an image inspired by giorgio di chirico on photoshop and I liked it so I edited that into the frame. I used a photo of flowers and a photo of a doorway arch and then 'painted' the rest in.
 I tried to add the frame onto the scene of the building and body photo however it looked quite cluttered so I decided to have it descend from the top of the frame. I also decided to edit different parts in different compositions to not clutter the timeline and keep things in order.
 I then used a transparent brush stroke to paint over the scene with black and used the wipe effect to create a look of applying paint.
 I started editing brush strokes on like i did with the black, inspired by this video I watched on de kooning.(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r7sJ_WNiSrs)
 With the stokes, I got to a point where i didnt know if i liked certain aspects, so rather than deleting layers, I decided to just add paint over where i wanted to cover like you would with an actual painting. The lines and white fill ins were inspired by kandinsky however i decided not to add shapes and things, and the dots were inspired by this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2Fyzav8MxE
 for the title screen i originally wanted a writing effect, however when i got to editing it I thought it would be more interesting to have a stencil effect as it would look more effective and show up better against the other paint strokes.


Overall, I think I am happy with how the piece turned out although I think it would be a lot more effective with some foley and music.


Comments