DANCEFILM | initial thoughts

While in class I had a few thoughts/ideas.
The first thing that came to mind to do with movement and physicality was how Berkoff uses movement in his plays like mime and synchronisation. I remember during GCSE we did the breakfast scene and moved along with the tick of a clock and also synchronised.
Then thought of Artaud and the theatre of cruelty as I mentioned it in my essay so it was at the front of my mind.
Ive also been looking into a lot of intense/noise jazz and noise music in general and I like the sound of that and its sense of destructiveness. This then made me think of things like punk clubs or just clubbing/dancing in general and ususally people dont dance 'interpretively' they just jump around and i think there's something interesting in that energy. also like the 'we are golden' video by mika.

I also think intense jazz sometimes as though its falling down/stomping down some stairs which is interesting imagery wise.
I then thought of a more nocturnal street with lights setting like a night walk/dance/stroll around lampposts etc, kind of like the video sincerity is scary by the 1975 but also how the song downtown lights by the blue nile sounds.
But then i thought there was another direction to take it on a night street. like a more 'emo' night walk where its a bit more lost and has a more nighclubbing by iggy pop type tone.
I also had a thought that a sculpture park would be an interesting setting - quite medusa-y.
Dance can also be quite ritualistic so there could be that to take into consideration.
imagery wise, i thought it would be cool to maybe have homages to painting within the frames to resemble the structure of a painting or figure positioning.
As well as this, the person could be faceless in a sense where it's shadowed or not shown to create less of an identity. Also thought of the way andy warhol would go mad with a zoom lens which could be a cool look.





Comments