MAPS & NETWORKS 5: final film/installation & reflection



Headphones under TV, remote next to it. The remote resembles control and gives the audience the choice of which part to see. Also I made the flux part quite long to imitate the idea of TV as background noise, which I read about when reading Andy Warhols A to B book
pentimento over top part of 'map' to show uncovered/unknown.
Xs show destinations on maps and door shows as previously discussed. the layout was the main thing from the beginning as I wanted to create something like the drawings I was doing with the marker pen, which also suggests the idea of permanence,  something that spreads out across the wall and then the film came along to accompany this. While making the film/video I felt quite bizarre about it, kind of off, but when I remembered the installation visual it makes a ton more sense. Also I think it resembles the portrait series project we do last year with the idea of having a map/display across the wall. As well as this I think a room was significant to me because a lot of my life has been confined to a room as as a teenager i think its the place that holds a lot of your identity.
Behind the door would be some tin foil to create a distorted reflection. The viewer may not even try open the door, but if they did they would see a blurred distorted image.

REFLECTION
Overall, I am happy with the outcome of my project, even though I do wish I had more time to develop certain parts. I think I succeeded in conveying the mapping out of identity/personal development through creativity and consumption. I find it interesting how the original drawings with the lines and me thinking they resembled a maze/map developed into something a lot more.
I think my favourite thing about it is the allegory at the end, but im not sure if that's because it's the most recent thing so i'm not as sick of it as i am the rest after editing and staring at it non stop.
I really want to try develop the music as I feel it fits well, however a slot of it could be refined more sharply to fit the film and steer the meaning of the film more. I feel like sometimes, in the last part of the overture and motorik beat, it gets a bit lost. However, maybe that's a good thing as I feel this film began as quite a personal way of getting out whatever I was thinking of and its transpired into what it is now and maybe the fact that it gets a bit lost says something else and fits with the concept of not knowing where you're going/a map/journey. I feel this project has really developed my Protools skills and I can use it with almost full confidence.
I wish I could fill in the allegory part out a bit visually. Could possibly work on it more, but I am so much happier with this the way it is than I would be with the conversation.
I really like the concept, i think it fits together really well, but I just feel i could make it.. 'tighter' as a whole. I like how meta it is, its kinda funny, and how it folds in on itself like an existential black hole.

I wanted to create an 'experience' type thing (like i mentioned the exploding plastic inevitable which is a big example, jimi hendrix experience, this whole concept of An Experience...) and give the piece its own personality/personify it, as i think curation is important as when im in an art gallery i can find it difficult to connect to pieces that have just been stuck on a white wall when i likely have no context of the art style or artist, i find it so much more memorable and influential when it's an actual Thing. For example, going to look at paintings when you know nothing about paintings may likely be less interesting compared to when you know techniques or artists that you can recognise. For example, when i went to the National Gallery the other week being able to see the different colours in the painting in context with the time they were painted or when I saw a Caravaggio or Van Gogh painting, both of which I have read about, it means so much more/its a lot more interesting, compared to when I go to a more contemporary exhibition where I dont really know anyone.
 When i see these things I can appreciate them more, so when there are pieces I know nothing about I feel there needs to be more to anchor the casual (or even not so casual) viewer.



Comments