MAPS & NETWORKS 3: idea development/research/writing

IDEA DEVELOPMENT/RESEARCH/WRITING

I wrote out a plan to help me know what I need to do and where I can go with sections.

I began by researching the idiot as I was looking into beginning to write the conversation
The Idiot research. I knew that I wanted to take into account fitting 'meanings' in conversations and have the characters discuss something, however for my film I wanted it to be quite meta fictional and detached with not too natural dialogue.
i wrote notes on ideas and things i wanted to mention in a word doc and then when I wanted to begin writing.
I was thinking of things I could include and sources that could help me figure how to process the pacing of it all. I thought of looking in journals and thought back to conversations with friends to see a reoccurring theme. In the Idiot I mainly looked/thought of parts at the beginning, mainly the part where Myshkin talks with the servant about capital punishment as I have seen the scene be referred to as a device of Dostoevsky talking about capital punishment using authorial comment so this was the kind of thing I wanted to go for while also making the conversation naturally progress into a deeper subject. By thinking of conversations with friends I was trying to find common topics that are relevant with this generation as the main things I wanted to comment on were things that were reoccurring with young people. I combined things ive said to friends, things friends have said to me as well as things that have been fabricated or twisted from this. I also decided the cafe setting was relevant as I have had multiple conversations with my friends in cafes where you just talk about anything and everything. As well as this my friend and i started a podcast and I found this useful to use as we did one where we talk about creativity.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn2wTvglonI0dpyt65q0lCQ
an Angels in America clip of Andrew Scott and Dominic Cooper came into my mind and I think this was because I had a whole 'theatre'/'performance' aesthetic in mind.
I also wrote down notes as to what I thought the film was becoming and themes and I found this helped to establish goals I had in mind while creating it.
Additionally, I also made note to mention social media as although I dont want the film to heavily evolve around it but because I was thinking about making it generationally relevant I wanted to slightly reference it.
I think here is where the metafictional idea really came into the foreground and I began to realise how meta my idea was and how meta it could be. This was helpful to realise as it gave me insight of how my ideas would work out. I wrote notes of things I've said to friends and they've said to me. I also thought more about a 'show' and how referencing this would in itself mention the actual film.
I then asked a friend some questions and typed it out. Here i was able to list things into the script.

Frances Ha washed up into my head. i think that was because it has a realistic vibe and character base. I was thinking mainly of the dinner party scene.
I then proceeded to researched video essays.



 I watched the video above over summer and it mentions eric rohmer and how he inserts philosophical monologues which I thought was interesting.

Also I was thinking about the concept of doing takes and writing the script and following it rather than improvising which both Bo Burnham (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkjIFRaWYRQ) and Greta Gerwig have spoken about. I decided to try go with this take on the conversation to contrast it with the flux improvised drawing section.
I also looked at the call me by your name script to look at the progression of a scene/conversation.
http://sonyclassics.com/awards-information/screenplays/callmebyyourname_screenplay-20171206.pdf



I wrote a list of all the 'inspirations'/analogies i had for what I was visualising in my head.


















I did a lot of research on Krautrock as I thought the droning pulling along effect would go perfectly with the drawing section. I watched videos. read articles and also looked into the main drum beat, motorik, that is accountable for the 'forward fleeting' feeling.


Watched this documentary which was interesting.

http://thequietus.com/articles/04037-lou-reed-interview-metal-machine-music
read this article as I was also thinking of Metal Machine Music as an inspiration as I had this kind of think with the krautrock in mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53JpbrxM7O0 jimi hendrix feedback video. I had never done feedback on guitar (at least that i know of) and I decided to try it, although I didnt record it on the zoom, I do think the sound inspired me as I was creating the MIDI stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypORufVbo5c krautrock example on a synth.
also looked heavily into neu! especially the song Hero and Isi. I listened to them quite a bit, however not as much as I'd have liked to as i wanted it to be really in my head, to get how they went and changed or stayed the same.
Also the song Autobahn by Kraftwerk as it was also along the theme of floating along/driving.
I also found this video:


https://www.quora.com/How-does-one-go-about-writing-an-overture-for-a-musical
I read this and I found it really helped me to understand what an overture was and what it is used for in a piece. This then helped me to think about how i could apply this to my film whether it was visuals only or sound or both.



Comments