film talk though & final film

final film:


I also uploaded the music/sound to soundcloud:
 the different parts and structure came out naturally, but i defined them more after watching Space Odyssey and thinking of the importance of the structure in plays and books (like All My Sons which I studied at A Level)

Part One
This represents the amount of things there are to do in modern society, not necessarily an attack on social media and the internet, but an exploration into modern productivity. I remember seeing something quite a while ago about how there is so many more options now to do with your time, you can read, watch films, etc etc because things are a lot more accessible and you also have technology and things online, and I wanted to show how it can be overwhelming and sometimes you need a break from the developed world.
The opening shot of the box establishes this as well as the shadows which i was going to make them super white and dreamy, however I decided to edit them more brown/golden-y to represent the side of the box. Also had the shadows as subliminal images. The box could also be viewed as a literal box - something people can put themselves in metaphorically and that's the reason why I chose cardboard as it looks constructed.

Infinity Space
when filming the infinity space i decided to not have a jacket on, even though i had a jacket in the field/woods scene. I thought this fit the environment more and also slightly breaks the verisimilitude enough to not really stand out and be too noticeable.
The idea and image of this shot was based off the idea of the Subconscious and the standing up represents them growing/standing up out of the box, but without the physicality of the box and field around them, sort of like a simulation taken away. Now I think of it its kind of like that Scooby Doo Cyber Cpace movie, where they're in a video game and between each level, the background is taken away and they are projected onto another.
This small segment also acts sort of transition to the next part

Part Two
This part begins with the sunset and the expansion of the aspect ratio, which was heavily inspired by the scene in Mommy which I referenced in one of my previous post. When I edited it took MY BReath Away as I thought it was so coool and beautiful. I wanted the screen to show growth and change and show the change of perspective. I wanted to show connotations of growth/change/liberation that links to natural aspects like flowers, and water, and the egg, and the galaxy. This was inspired by the film 'The Tree of Life' as I like its use of imagery to show naturalness and seeing the space, which I think relates to the roots of living and the world.
I always knew I wanted to incorporate words into my piece, however it wasn't something that I wanted to force, and when I was reading this poetry book I noticed all the words on the page would work wonderfully with the images.

Part Three
The beginning of part three is a sort of transition at the same time of being the beginning of this part. I had the sound in my head for a long time, and I wanted it to sound like a suspense horror film with a harsh long bows.
The choice of no noise in the rest of it, was inspired by the film Suspiria as watching I noticed its use of lack of sound in between its heavy use of it.
With this part I wanted to show the spiritual connection of the Earth and how its a base of the world and of our existence.
Personally, I don't think of this as a literal thing happening, like they go to the woods to just take a break, but a metaphor to represent coming away from consumption and productivity and just existing. The character touching the ground represented making a connection and being grounded.
I wanted the closing aspect ratio to represent the merging of, leaving the other world more and more, almost like shut curtains/door into the audiences view of the characters subconsciousness realm. I had footage of the character looking at the sky but I cut that out as I felt this ending worked better.




Comments

  1. This was honestly so lovely. The shots of skin and the hands really stood out to me. I also really like the changing of the frames and the movement of them. The silence was so impactful. It's amazing knowing that you recorded all of the sound. I thought you had used a sound track.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment