Editing

editing made me really excited for the outcome of my film, as I lost heart in the gaps between writing, filming, and editing, as it felt very disconnected and the visual in my head wasn't as strong anymore. Editing brought the enthusiasm back as my footage was slowly was pieced together and started actually looking like a film.

Editing took quite a long time, as I had a lot of different shots that I tried out and had to organise them as well as the edit them in the order i wanted them in, also some things went wrong which gave me limited editing time and I also stayed up all night editing, which I know is really bad but i was on a roll and didn't want to stop! Also i wasn't tired anyway and my sleeping pattern was messed up from editing late the night before while my roommates were playing minecraft.
While editing my three sheets on each part camera in very useful.
I started by doing the introduction and the jazz track. I did the very beginning shot of the film as I knew that was what I wanted and made the TV noise using Audition and generating the noise and the actual TV screen i used a tutorial to create it in after effects. Then I edited a beat from what I recorded so I could edit the footage to go up to that, I used the videos I looked at while recording to help, both at the 4 minute mark
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mg1CIQVTdms&t=233s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAkJYk3uJpM&t=252s
I couldn't add all the fancy rolls, etc, so i edited them some more things over the original beat which was the tapping of the symbol. Also, when recording, I couldnt hit the rim of strum with the stick because the drums were electronic drums, so while making the track, i realised that was missing so used my camera to record clicking and took out the fuzz in the background in audition. I think the first click you can tell its a click, but the others sound fine, but that is probably just me because they are all the same click copy and pasted.
It went really well. The first shot of the consumption part of the film where its Lou Reed zooming in, was inspired by when i imported it and it was originally that small and then I scaled it higher and liked how it looked so I key framed it.

I brought each bit to the timeline, for that part, and cut what I wanted out of them and then arranged them from the longer ones to the shorter ones as I wanted it to get quicker and more intense as it went on. I thought about having the sound slowly speed up, however I felt it didn't need this as I think the quick, snappy shots and the added typing and notification sounds, as well as a frying noise worked for this.

I then edited the infinity part, which also had a really good outcome. I was worried about the 'hob noise' not working out which was done with the click of a pen and wafting the Zoom recorded through the air to get the gas/lit noise.
I then added a background noise that I generated in audition and then got the audio of some old footage and made it sound as though it was underwater. 

As I was editing part 2, I knew that I wanted the sunset to be the part with the opening frame as it looked so open. Originally, I filmed a sunset, however I reversed it to make the sun go up, rather than down to suit the progression/growth theme.
I ended up creating a track using the guitar harmonics, and then added the violin harmonics in afterwards as I was editing in premiere. For this section, I have a lot of shots that I abandoned including a can opening, which I wanted to represent a change/progression, however I feel it didn't fit in the sequence and was too different to the other shots, and not in a way where it would be a good different.
I also had some sounds like boiling water, frying and book pages to represent growing, and also added some photos of words from a book of Allen Ginsberg poetry, as I like the was the words had connotations that linked to what I was trying to show. I was going to arrange it differently, however as I cropped them, it reminded me of black out poetry which I liked.
I also edited a galaxy on after effects using a tutorial on youtube, and it worked out really well. I considered adding a moving noise, however I remembered in Space Odyssey uses non as there is no sound in space and decided to keep that.
Also, with the violin parts, it took me a while to perfect the harmonics and I added EQ, echo & reverb to make them softer and dreamier. It took quite a while to do this as I kept going back and editing/perfecting it more, my roommate  (jokingly) complained because she kept hearing loud ass violin noises on repeat for an hour and had to play her music loud to drown it out haha.

The last section of the film, I edited the shrinking of the aspect ratio. As doing this, I was hesitant about it even though I was really pumped about it before, but it ended up all working out


 CHOOSING A TITLE
i wrote down many words and phrases that my film was about and then chose my favourite.

COLOUR GRADING:
BEFORE                                                                                              AFTER






Comments