Creating Sound Piece




While doing/starting this project, I had a few inspirations in mind. I knew basquiat used to be in an experimental band called Gray, I decided at the very beginning that I wanted to do a rotary phone at the start of my piece, which came from 'Suicide Hotline' when I heard the phone noises. I then looked at the visual aspect of the painting and made notes, and then the meaning.
Because the painting is about capitalism, I decided I wanted to use metallic industrial sounds to create an intense and churning atmosphere; kind of like the beginning sequence of Metropolis but in audio form. While listening to Gray's album, Drum Mode was relevant for this as I liked it's echoing and beat - hence the first booms in my piece.
I then looked around at other experimental sound pieces around the theme of capitalism and metal.
- William Basinski - The Disintegration Loops gave me the idea of noises clashing w music-y kinda stuff/whispery. This inspired me to experiment with contrasting sounds of the heavy churning and lighter calmer side, which I wanted to show the contrast with art and it's liberation, in a way, from capitalism. The different channels i think came from the song 'murder mystery' by the Velvet Underground, as I have always loved how the two sides complimented each other so well
- Kollaps - CApitalism


Other Inspirations:
Metal Machine Music - the stratchy guitar and feedback. something i included in some parts of my piece.
Velvet Underground more specifically Murder Mystery
Laurie Anderson - I've always loved 'o superman' as it captures a dystopic atmosphere and radiates a lot of moods
Only Lovers Left Alive Soundtrack by Squirl







Comments