Face Paint Testing For Portraits

I looked at face paint and make up to inspire me and remind me of things I have seen before and that I had in mind.


I then started remembering this thing I saw of anti-facial recognition and with a quick search, I found them


While I was trying to find them, I came across this image from the 1920 movie The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari. I watched it and was reminded how much I love German Expressionism and may interpret this in my photography with the exaggerated/stylised theme.




Experimenting :
I tested out some different face paint looks, drawing inspiration from the photos above.  I first tried a half white idea, which I really liked. I then tried adding some red. I chose the colour red in particular because it connotes danger and love, i feel it is a very mood-y, bold colour.

I filled in the top half red, which I also thought looked good, but maybe too intense.
I wanted to add other shapes, like the anti face detection ones.
 I decided to see what an entirely white face looked like, however this didn't really work.
I didn't know whether to do this one blue or red, so I tried one on each eye.
After looking over the photos, I decided to try something that went more upon the anti face detection and Cesare from Dr Caligari. I liked it, however now looking, I dont think it works as well as the others. I also kind of look like a Pack of Cards.


Comments