MARCIA RESNICK | Artist Research

I found a book in the library called 'Punk, Poets, & Provocateurs - New York Bad Boys - 1977-1982' and found some really interesting photos by Marcia Resnick. I like how Marcia Resnick's portraits burst each of the subject's personality, whether it's in colour or black and white, as well as managing to grasp this energy of the moment. I love the aesthetic of these photos and would like to attempt to use the studio and lights for my own portraits, as currently I have been using environments around me. I like the sense of performance and extremity that they have to them with the 'exposed' look. 


I like the first photo's background and how it is used with the accessories in the subject, as well as the pose and glasses that all add to the eccentric atmosphere of the picture. The second photo follows the same theme, with the subject striking a kind of scandalous, revealing pose that's emphasised by the dramatic drape of the curtain and strong shadow, caused by a flash. The last photo has an intimidating and intense tone that is formed by the black and white with the strong shadows, as though it follows the typical noire aesthetic. The proximity also adds an invasive feel.
I like background in this photo as the light purple enhances the dream like expression on the subjects's faces with them looking up towards the light. The casual pose of the two, complement the theme of serenity with the soft, twilight coloured background that also has a soft shadow from the subjects.

                      
In the first image I like how the framing and use of black and white draw focus to the subject with square glasses.


I like the use of the mirror in the photo above and i love the use of space in the last two with the splayed across the frame to draw the spectator to the person in shot. These images have an 'in your face' aspect to them.

The main things I took away from/liked about these portraits:
- the use of frame and the space taken up by the subject
- the use of a mirror
- the lighting used to create an effect
- the vibrant colour or intensity of black and white
- how personality is shown through the images, for example tattoos and pose.

Comments